Making the Switch
You can change from your utility’s supply service to a new retail natural gas supplier or from one retail natural gas supplier to another. In either case, only the gas supplier you choose may switch your service.
Here’s how it works:
You, as the customer, enter into a contract with the retail natural gas supplier of your choice.
The retail natural gas supplier will notify your utility of your request and the utility will switch you to the retail gas supplier’s service you selected.
You will begin receiving service from your new retail natural gas supplier effective the first day of the next month after the utility’s receipt of the appropriate electronic enrollment transaction from your selected retail natural gas supplier (or the first day of the next subsequent month if received by a utility less than seven days before the first day of the next month).
The utility, however, is not required to process more than two enrollments and two drops per customer per bill cycle.
You will receive a notice of your enrollment from both your utility and your new retail natural gas supplier before the switch occurs. These notices will confirm your selection of your new retail natural gas supplier and the date on which your service will switch, and summarize the new supply option you selected with your new retail natural gas supplier.
If these two notices do not match, or if you did not sign up for service with the named retail natural gas supplier, you should contact the retail gas supplier immediately to remedy this issue.
If you leave a retail natural gas supplier without selecting a new one, you will be returned to utility-provided supply until you choose a new retail gas supplier. You always have the ability to return to the utility for gas supply.
Learn About Your Options
You can find out about retail natural gas supply offers available to you in a variety of ways. You may:
- Visit the PSC MD Gas Choice page or call 1-800-492-0474 for more information.
- Visit the Maryland Office of People’s Counsel website or call 1-800-207-4055 for more information.
- Visit your utility’s website: BGE or Washington Gas
- See ads in newspapers or magazines, or hear ads on TV or the radio.
- Search for available offers on other Internet gas shopping sites.
- Receive information in the mail from licensed retail natural gas suppliers.
- Receive a phone call from licensed retail natural gas suppliers.
- Have sales agents representing licensed retail natural gas suppliers knock on your door.
- Watch these videos on our YouTube channel to learn more about energy choice and how to handle interactions with supplier agents.
Choose Your Retail Natural Gas Supplier
Once you decide what is most important to you (for example: price, contract duration, fixed term or month-to-month, fixed price or variable price, environmental benefits, supplier commitment, etc.) you can choose the retail natural gas supplier that has the offer that meets your needs. You can sign up for service by contacting the retail natural gas supplier directly by phone or by visiting their website.